Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Homemade Egg Nog....perfect for Christmas Eve!!

I would never call myself a good cook by any means, partially because I come from a family of great cooks. But when it comes to challenging recipes for the most part I can hold my own!
In my opinion eggnog is an aquired taste...people usually don't drink it if it is not a tradition in their family.
My family never drank eggnog growing up but I tried this recipe first sophomore year in college (that night holds vivid memorys for most of us!) and loved it!
You can really tell a difference between homemade eggnog and store bought, if you are a first timer with eggnog I recommend drinking it this way!

Before I share the recipe I feel like I should warn you....be prepared to spend some quality time in your kitchen :)

PERFECT CHRISTMAS EGGNOG
-From the Kitchen Of Alissa Mansfield-


Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Makes 12 Servings, but I typically double recipe! omb


Ingredients:

6 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
1/2 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup brandy (can do with or without)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
Additional grated nutmeg for garnish

Step by Step Instructions

1. Start with your eggs! Combine eggs, egg, yolks, sugar, and salt into large 3-4 quart pan




2. Whisk eggs, sugar, and salt until well combined!



3. Slowly pour in 4 cups of whole milk to egg mixture, continue to whisk as you add milk




4. MOST IMPORTANT STEP: Turn the burner on the lowest setting possible! With eggnog you must cook it at a very low heat in order for the eggs not to scramble. Stirring is essential, you must stir for the entire 40 minutes..consider it a good workout! :)


**Use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature of the mixture, when it** reaches 160 degrees remove from the burner.


Milo trying to figure out what I am making!!



5. Once mixture has thickened (should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon) pour it through a strainer to remove any accidentally cooked bits of eggs.

6. Once the mixture is strained, add the brandy or dark rum (if its a spiked eggnog!), nutmeg, and vanilla. Stir until all the ingredients are mixed through.




7. Next you will need to cover the mixture and put in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.

8. When the mixture has been refrigerated and you are ready to serve the eggnog, next you whip 1/4 cup heavy cream until soft peaks form (don't over whip)



9. Once you have whipped the cream, add to your mixture and stir until it is mixed throughout. You can tell a color different once you have added the whipped cream


NOW YOU ARE FINALLY DONE! Put the eggnog in a pitcher or serve out of a bowl either works great!!

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Alissa, I've never tried egg nog but this post makes me want to try it! Thanks for the inspiration, I'll let you know if I am brave enough to attempt it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura!! You have to do it!! I promise..its an adventure!

    ReplyDelete