Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year, New Start




So it is new year, 2011 bring big things for the Mansfields!
So Brett and I have decided to make a few healthy changes in our lives as many do at the start of the new year, but this time we mean it! 
We are taking on a new challenge this year...creating healthy habits!
Usually at the beginning of a new year I attempt to eat little to nothing and try a completely unrealistic exercise plan. As always, it never works! I break down about 2 weeks in and go back to my unhealthy eating habits and sedentary lifestyle! 
So this year we are trying something new....no drastic weight loss plans this year, just making changes to create a healthier lifestyle that might last a little longer than 2 weeks! :)

 I have always loved to cook, but unfortunately all of the meals I am actually good at cooking are extremely unhealthy. So we end up eating unhealthy meals and breaking down and eating out when the pantry isn't stocked.



So here is to the new year. Since last week (yes this is only my second week!) I have been creating a menu on Sundays that has healthier options (easy to cook and budget friendly) that still taste great and satisfy my love of food!

Since it takes quite a bit of work planning out the menus, creating shopping lists, etc I thought what a great idea to share it with everyone so that maybe they will be inspired to take on healthy cooking with me! 

Here is the plan...each Sunday I will post menu plans for the week and a shopping list. Then I will update with the recipes I cook throughout the week. These will be dinner recipes but I will add in my go to breakfast, lunch, and snack ideas! 

I know your probably thinking....BORING...all recipes, no fun! But this should be fun! If I can cook it, you can cook it!! Believe me!!

This week I am just doing a Monday-Thursday menu since we have a double date planned with Seth and Linds this Friday!



MENU
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday: Greek-style Chicken Rollups
Tuesday: Steak with Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
Wednesday: Fresh Triggerfish with Greek Couscous Salad
Thursday: Balsamic Pork Chops with Roasted Red Potatoes and Salad



GROCERY LIST
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1 yellow onion
1 cucumber
1 container cherry tomatoes
1 bag or box of lettuce (I like romaine hearts best)
1 block of feta or container of crumbled feta
1 pack of chicken tenders
1 container salsa
whole wheat tortillas
2 steaks (filet or ribeye whatever fits the budget)
1 bartlett pear
1 package of goat cheese
1 package of whole wheat couscous (you can find this in the pasta aisle)
2 pork chops
2 pieces of triggerfish (or any other light fish of your choice)
6 red potatoes
1 bag of chopped pecans

You will also need olive oil and balsamic vinegar (but you might already have those in the pantry)

Stay tuned I will post the recipes as I go through the week! Happy New Year and Bon Appetit!







No comments:

Post a Comment